Are only Women victims of domestic violence leading to murders? Or our mainstream media, especially the English one’s choose to give it the least coverage? While there is no This Vs That, it is important to keep reiterating how #CrimeHasNoGender, and it is only the culprit who is responsible for his or her actions.
It’s high time Government focuses equally on Male Inequality Statistics while talking about Gender Equality.
Woman sets husband on fire due to his dark complexion (Representative Image Only)
Case (April 2019)
- In a shocking crime reported from Uttar Pradesh, an FIR was registered against a 22-year-old woman for allegedly burning her husband for his ‘dark complexion’
- The accused was identified as Prem Shree, wherein the deceased was identified as Satyaveer Singh
- Satyaveer was two years younger to his wife
- The couple got married two years ago and had a five-month-old daughter
- The incident took place at around 5:45 AM on April 15 this year, when the deceased was sleeping on his cot
- It was alleged that his wife poured petrol on him and set him on fire
- The accused also got burnt on her leg while trying to set her husband on fire
- Meanwhile, Inspector Sehdev Singh, station house officer (SHO) of Kurh Fatehgarh told TOI that earlier they had registered an FIR under section 307 (attempt to murder) of the Indian Penal Code (IPC) but during the treatment it was found that the man had passed away because of the burn injuries, hence the case was converted to section 302 (murder) of the IPC
- During the investigation, the deceased’s brother Harveer Singh told that his sister-in-law didn’t like Satyaveer and always used to comment on his dark complexion
- The two had got married without seeing each other
- The family of Satyaveer was away in the fields when this incident took place
- To their shock, they did confess that the daughter-in-law constantly taunted their son, however, they never thought she would go to this extent and kill him
- The police then initiated investigation in the direction of the wife committing murder and all details were revealed
Why doesn’t our society outrage equally when a Man is killed by wife?
Why do we only have sympathy towards a victim when she is a Woman?
Why do we never see primetime debates on the atrocities caused on Men/Husbands?
Is this directly linked to funding received from various NGOs only towards Women’s Rights?
Is it because it is always about numbers – where we want to believe 99% crimes happen only against women?
What really is it?