A 47-year-old woman from Kozhikode, Kerala allegedly poisoned to death, her husband and five other family members of the family. She has reportedly also confessed to the chilling crime soon after her arrest.
- Jolly Joseph, wife of Roy Thomas, one of her victims had allegedly mixed cyanide in the food to eliminate each family member over the years to get hold of the property and attain other personal goals.
- Eight years after the death of her husband Roy Thomas following consumption of cyanide-laced food, Jolly and two others were arrested on October 5 and investigation started into the deaths of five others of the family
- The two other accused MS Mathew (44), is a close friend of Jolly and Prajikumar, (48) had allegedly supplied cyanide to Mathew who handed it over to Jolly
- Jolly was arrested only in the case relating to the death of her husband in 2011 due to the presence of cyanide mentioned in his post-mortem report
- However, now the SIT is probing the case after receiving a complaint from Roy’s US-based brother, Rojo, over the six deaths between 2002-19
- While Annamma Thomas had died in 2002, her husband Tom Thomas passed away six years later in 2008
- Later, their son Roy Thomas died in 2011
- Annamma’s brother Mathew died in 2014 and two relatives, Sili in 2016 and her one-year-old daughter- in 2014
- Jolly later married their relative Shaju, who was the husband of Sili and father of the one-year-old daughter who had died in 2016
- As police found that the deaths to be suspicious, the remains of the six deceased was exhumed on October 4
FAMILY THAT WAS MURDERED:
KG Simon, Kozikhode rural SP, who is heading the SIT in the case, revealed to the media that Jolly had plans to kill two more children in the family just like she had before; by feeding them food laced with cyanide. Talking to media, Simon said,
There was an attempt to kill two more kids in a similar fashion. The children also showed symptoms similar to those poisoned — seizures and apnea (breathing problems) but they managed to survive.
The Kerala Police also received inputs about some suspicious incidents that occurred in the family and is now probing if Jolly Shaju was involved. Without giving away details, Simon said,
We have got inputs about some incidents in the family. Though there haven’t been any deaths, the family has doubts.
At the moment the police are withholding the identity of the probable victims but have confirmed that they were close to the Thomas family. The SIT is also planning to make Shaju Scaria, the second husband of prime accused Jolly, an approver.